Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wednesday the 6th

Today we worked with a church from Izumi and one that we worked with
last week from Yonezawa.  We were able to finish the inside of the
Bikkuri Ichi store by 2 pm.  I was part of the group assigned to help
clean-up  the parking area while other teams went out to help folks in
the neighborhood.  Since the parking lot filled up with cars our job
became quite easy.  It was amazing how much sand we cleaned up for a
store that far inland.  The owner said he hoped to have it up and
running in a month or two.  There is still a lot of work to be done
before then as all his refridgerated displays, freezers, meat lockers,
butcher shop machines, etc need to be fixed or replaced.  He does have
a small area on the end of the building where there are fresh
vegetables and a few other items for sale.  I was able to get some
eggs for my breakfasts without having to go looking for them and give
him some business.
On my way home I swung through the harbor village just up the street
from Tak called Hanabuchi.  The destruction is amazing.  I will
enclose a few pictures.  I found it interesting that some of the front
line houses/shops are still standing but there is an entire area
behind them that is just foundations.
I’ve been writing a little in between sterilizing water.  It’s amazing
how much water we use.  You don’t really notice until you have to
carry it up a hill.  And this is with conserving ie. a bath is using
baby wipes.  Of course I could go back to digging holes in the woods
like we had to last week with so many more people here.  I think its
worth a little extra weight coming up the hill though.   Fortunately
today was quite warm, (somewhere in the sixties I presume) and the
cabin was warm when I got home so I didn’t have to mess with a fire in
the wood stove.  The layers of clothes are slowly being added however.
 Glad for a warm sleeping bag and a stocking cap.  I’m going to sign
out and go back to sterilizing water so I can get to bed at a decent
hour tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment