Saturday, April 16, 2011

Last post

With the last entry I sent a picture with a grand piano in front of a house.  I had thought I had posted a picture of the same place two weeks ago when we removed the grand piano andcleaned out the back rooms.  I did not, as it turns out, so I am posting it now.  I intended to show the progress of the cleaning effort as a whole street that was lined with garbage is now clear.
As I sat at the gate waiting for boarding to commence I was thinking it was a little ironic that the train I rode to the airport on was stopped for  15 minutes on the way to the airport because of an earthquake.  The other thing I noticed is that life in Tokyo has pretty much returned to normal.  It made me a little sad for the people up north where life is still anything but normal.  I don’t want people to forget what is going on up there.  There is so much in life that we take for granted that can change in an instant.
I was blessed at the airport to get to spend some time with Richard Nakamura, my classmate from Multnomah.  What a blessing to get to catch up with him and hear how God is working in him.  My mostly empty very large suitcase came in handy in getting a replacement chime back to the States in time for Easter.  You can’t get just one in the States.  You have to get a whole set.  So Rich was getting a single chime replacement.
The weekend before Mark’s call I was wondering if it wouldn’t be better just to send money instead of spending the money to actually go.  Now looking back it is easy to see that actually going was the right thing to do on many levels.  A person  can offer encouragement, comfort, care and make connections  Not only was I able to help meet some practical needs of people who have lost much, I was also able to minister to the deaf community on the weekends.   I was able to encourage the Japanese just by my willingness to come over and help.  Being there gave me the opportunity to see a family who had lost a Bible in the flooding and to replace it.   Being there gave me the opportunity to spend meaningful time with my brother and encourage him.  Being there for three weeks, working under the leadership of the Shiogama Bible Baptist Church was an encouragement to them as well. 
Presence is important.  I am thankful that God could use my presence there to minister to and encourage many people.   Once again, thank you for your prayers and support.  Please continue to pray for Pastor Otomo and the crew up in Shiogama as they continue in the daily grind of the relief effort.  (The picture is of Pastor Otomo).
I am safely home now.  I received a very wonderful pleasant surprise when I returned home.  A project I had originally planned on doing during this period of time that I have been gone was completed.  Thank you Carey and Stan!  Its a load off my mind.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting your journey. It was such an encouragement to me also.

    ReplyDelete