Monday, April 11, 2011

Monday the 11th

We did more cleaning up around the same apartment complex and then
from 11:00 on we cleaned up the yard around the kindergarten next door.
 “Many hands make light work” was shown to be true today.  There was
literally mountains of garbage that had been cleaned out of the
classrooms that needed to be moved to a spot more easily accessed by
the front loaders.  I will send before and after pictures. The young
teachers at the kindergarten were the first this whole trip to get
excited to see foreigners like I remember happening all the time when
I was younger.  I wonder if it is the shock of everything that has
been happening around here with the tsunami or if foreigners are that
much more common than they (we) used to be.
The greater excitement came later in the afternoon just as I was about
to leave to go to Tak.  We had another shaker with tsunami warnings.
The field of the middle school next door started filling with cars as
it is an evacuation center.  I was told there were many more cars last
Thursday night with the bigger earthquake that took out our
electricity and water.  Needless to say I put off going out to Tak.
After several aftershocks it didn’t take too much argument to get me
to stay the night.  Thankfully I had forgotten my sleeping bag the
other day and still had my food suitcase in the van as it was covered
with plywood until this morning. (Speaking of plywood, the plywood is
to be used to make the fixer-upper house next door into housing for
volunteers in the relatively near future).
I'm glad my earplugs are in my backpack.  One of the older American
guys already fell asleep and he is sawing logs big time.  Time for a
sleep study and some CPAP.  Hopefully I sleep well tonight..


No comments:

Post a Comment