Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sunday the 10th

I really enjoyed my weekend.  Spent a couple hours looking for stuff
at “recycle stores” with Mrs. Araki on Saturday afternoon.  Enjoyed
the evening chatting with them about this and that.  I had spent a
little time in the evening trying to figure out what to say to the
kids during the short kid’s message they asked me to do late Saturday
afternoon.  Mrs. Araki suggested I just tell them about how God
provided for this trip, so I went with that and it seemed to work ok.
I thought it would be just the kids, but everyone listened to it.
Since I don’t sign and speak regular Japanese at the same time that
well Mrs. A interpreted the Japanese into sign for the adults.
I also enjoyed spending the afternoon renewing old friendships and
making new acquaintances.  I was able to talk with Jiro by phone as he
and his wife had to go to her parents to help get ready for rice
planting.  I was a little disappointed they couldn’t be there.
By the time I left at 6:20 I was mentally exhausted.  It is amazing
how much trying to communicate in a foreign language that you haven’t
used in a while can take it out of a person.  I had considered taking
the old highway home for old times sake but by that time I just wanted
to get back to Tak as quickly and safely as possible so I took the new
toll road.
Imagine my delight to get back to Tak and find out I had both
electricity and water again.  Woohoo!!  The first thing I did was to
wash the rice and get it going so I would have some in the morning
even if I lost electricity in the night.  It’s interesting how
experiencing that bigger earthquake last week has affected my thinking
and decision making.

No comments:

Post a Comment